Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Cher-lynn

“Is it true that you do not wish me to speak?”

“Nay, little one. I expect you to speak –
tell me of the awe and wonder you see,
that I might have missed. Use me
as a sounding board for your musings –
just don’t prattle to move the air around,
or pass on the latest gossip.”

“I understand, papa – and am pleased.
It is difficult to talk with most people
since I don’t watch TV,
or idle sports,
or shop;
but …”

I waited a bit before giving a nod,
giving honor to the ‘but’ as a request,
not a human ploy saying,
“ignore what I just said,
here is the real concern –
the stuff you didn’t ask for.”

Instead, I whistled low –
signaling her to my side
lest we disturb a tremulous faun
approaching a pool for its first drink;
or the pool’s first prayerful offering,
one.


“Please tell me what you feel, right now,”
whispered self to me and Cher-lynn near.”

and we had much to talk about –
and I learned that donkeys
can listen and speak at the same time,
unlike people,
and that she likes to be
scritched behind the ears.

“Look there,” she giggled.
“Someone left a moonbeam
beneath that gnarled tree …”

1 Comments:

At 5:04 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Utterly charming faucon. You two seem to have something special happening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home