Monday, May 15, 2006

A Rest Along the Way--Pondering Discipline

A Rest Along the Way-- Pondering Discipline

We have stopped for a rest along the road. My trusty steed has informed me that inspite of what Big Mike told me, his name is actually Sweet ALBERT.

While Sweet Albert grazes along the side of the road, I am taking moment to enjoy the beauty of the woods and to ponder my own creative routines.

I have none.

Indeed, I labor all day, do my physical regime three times a week, do my household chores daily as needed, gather with my fellowship of believers once a week to hear the Holy Texts, and as much as possible visit with friends and family.

But as far as inner habits go, I am very derelict. Only since I've come on this journey do I write or create on a daily basis, though once, a long time ago, I did do these things with far more regularity.

Nor do I read like as I once did. I used to read a book or a scroll for hours at a time, lying on a lounge, sipping cold drinks. Now, I read in fits and starts, falling asleep after only a page or two. At one time, I did the Form of the Taoist Masters daily, at dawn, listening to the cries of the mourning doves. And I used to pray. Oh, how I did pray-- and at times, the Heavens answered me.

I hope this journey will rekindle all these disciplines and bring me back to those habits that nurtured the inner spirit.

"Cloak" Revised: Lori Gloyd (c) May 15, 2006

2 Comments:

At 4:48 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Ah! Begin to make notes on one of those scrolls Lori. Watch yourself and note down little habits that begin to appear. It takes only twenty one days to make a habit a practice and we will be out here of much longer than that.

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger Fran said...

I too have found myself unable to get on with the work after an intense week at the beginning of the month but as Faucon says, perhaps we are just getting ready once more, or resting is part of the process. Fran

 

Post a Comment

<< Home