Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Cher-lynn and I

I might have missed her, you know –
all that dust from the eager throng
and recalcitrant donkey distraction
you’ve been relating –
and she being shy and unsure
of why I (or anyone) would ask
for the donkey forgotten.

I tarried in my usual way – writing,
supported by forgiving seat-grass
and a nestle-warm cedar stump.
The presence of another shadow
might not have fringed my focus at all,
except that her eyes could not remain silent.

“I am called faucon, or papa,” said I;
in music to blend with the uphill brook.

a look into her eyes –

“and I am blessed!”

“What was the name of the first
girl you ever kissed?” the donkey asked.

“forget the spin-the-bottle stuff and cousin pecks.”

“Cherylynne,” tumbled out before memory caught up.

“Then you can call me ‘Cher-lynn’, perhaps.”

I sang her a little song that is of no import,
(except that she hums the tune at sunset)

“It is right that you carry your staff and scroll,”
she offered. “I will carry the pouch, bedroll and food.”

I did not ask after the stubby wings
strapped to her sides with silken twine,
though I knew she thought I might.

I just set off, leaving scant footprints
as is my way; but readily marking the trail
with staff-pocks every fourth stride –

in between strides the whirling Sequoia branch
traces a figure eight in the air …
an infinity sign,
followed by the symbol Phi …
and we are off,
she somewhere behind.

5 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

aw...gee:-D

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Believer said...

I knew you would find a little charmer of a donkey. They are hard to resist!

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

How like you, faucon, to be a friend and companion rather than a donkey's burden :-)

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

the name of the one you first kissed. What a romantic you are faucon. Just charming.

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger Fran said...

And I thought I had finished with talking donkeys! be careful or the Union will have to be re-activated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home