Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Interior Cartography #1


Interior Cartography #1

Night has fallen, and I am sitting alone next to a campfire eating some of cookies given to me by another traveler. After a fine lunch along the road with some of my colleagues, I decided to continue ahead on my own because I wanted some time to myself. Here, in the night, with only the sound of the popping firewood and the breeze rustling through the foliage, I spread out my scrolls in front of me. Sweet Albert stood nearby, dozing, his saddle and tack resting on a stump.

A while later, Albert's sonorous voice broke through my concentration. "Is that a map of Lemuria?"

"Yes," I said tersely, not wanting to engage in conversation. Several more moments passed in silence.

"That's not a very good map," he said.

Not at all astonished that Albert could read as well as speak, I said "I know."

"You need re-draw it."

"Yes, Albert, I know..."

"You should mark descansos on it."

"Albert! I know what I have to do."

"Then do it."


"I know," I sighed, as I put another descanso cross on my map.

Another moment passed.

"Can I have a cookie?"

I gave him the entire bag.

Image and text: Lori Gloyd (c) May 17, 2006

6 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

I love your mysterious map - and Albert!
nonaafx

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

take no notice of that last `word' i was trying to put the word verification in.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger The Gate Keeper said...

No worries...I thought you had sneezed.... ;)

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

You and Albert are a delight together Lori. A match made in heaven?

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger The Gate Keeper said...

Y'know, Albert does bear a resemblence to someone I know (and just as annoying) I may have to eventually dump poor Albert if he doesn't lighten up. :)

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger The Gate Keeper said...

...which is exactly why I haven't dump Albert's inspiration yet either! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home