Friday, May 19, 2006

Mapping the heart - breaks 1

The first break occured when I lost my beloved auntie to cancer when I was only 7 or 8 years old. The results for our family were catastrophic. She had three children - my first cousins - and throughout my early childhood my mother and my aunt were almost interchangeable. When my auntie died, my uncle remarried and my cousins got the stepmother from hell. She was an unbelievable monster, cruel and vindictive, making the girls wear headscarves in the house so that her own daughter's "beauty" would be apparent. What was even worse was that she would not allow us to visit them, and they were forbidden to come to our house. My cousins - almost my sisters - were lost to me.

The close family unit that had survived the holocaust to arrive in England was shattered irrevocably by this outsider, herself a refugee and survivor, but so so damaged.

Shortly after her death my grandfather died. Two major losses in one year. Two pieces of my heart broken.

5 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Blogger Samm said...

Sara

Me too. Take your time and we'll all be here for a hug at the end of the day.

Samm

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Courage, my friend, we are all with you.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

A circle will form to support you Sara
and you will find the courage you need to do this all important mapping, mapping that ultimately frees your heart from the ropes that bind it.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

I agree with everyone else. There is a lot of support here, and once it is out, you can breathe easier.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger The Gate Keeper said...

:::::Hug::::::

 

Post a Comment

<< Home