Friday, May 19, 2006

Map Of My Heart

A map of my heart? Wow, this is hard. I sat on a porch one summer evening as my mother said, "I've always hated you." "I know, " was all that I could say. My mother never hid her hatred in my growing years. There were nights when I slept under a picnic table in the park to get away from the fighting, anger, and violence of the place I called home. It gave me a resolve to make things different for my children. When my husband's violence towards me became something I would no longer live with the same resolve and love for my children helped me leave when what I really wanted to do was kill him. Love for my children is the only thing that has kept my heart alive. Their love for me shows me time and again that my life has been worthwhile. My son, John (23), is in the Air Force, stationed in Korea. He sent me the following words for Mother's Day. They're not only a map of my heart but a picture of it beating.

Happy Mother's Day,

Mom,
Everything I've ever needed.
Loving, caring doing everything for our sake.
Only doing what was best for us, even when you
Had your own goals
Daring, brave, strong, the role model of my life
Yearning, for us to be best.

Always there, always.
Dear, great, wonderful
Adventurous, beautiful
My source of greatest strength
Saying always "I love you"

Love you Mom

5 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Blogger The Gate Keeper said...

Melody, this is powerful (you made me cry, my dear!). Thank you for sharing such a beautiful piece.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger sarariches said...

made me cry too.......what a tribute

sara x

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Beautiful, Melody - I have a lump in my throat. These maps are incredibly powerful.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Yes, I felt like crying too. Things ought not be like that, should they?

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

The power of this activity takes my breath away. The mood when these are done will be similar to the jubilation when armistice was declared to close WW2

 

Post a Comment

<< Home