Sunday, May 21, 2006

Interior Cartography #6

Interior Cartography #6-- On Labryinths

Crunch, crunch, chrunch....

I jumped, startled as I became aware of Albert standing over me.

"Albert, it's not polite to read over someone's shoulder."

"Thorry." he lisped.

"And don't talk with your mouth full."

"My, aren't we in a mood this morning. "

"Well....yes, I'm sorry. I guess making this map has churned up a lot of unfinished business."

"That's the idea. I was wondering--what's with the labryinth?"

"Oh, yeah....I thought the labryinth would be a good image to use on the map. Back in the Real World, in many cultures, the labryiinth is used as a walking meditation. It's supposed to represent the Journey or pilgrimage."

"A journey to what?"

"Well, anything, actually-- to God, to Transcendence, Enlightenment, Self-Awareness.... whatever the walker wants or needs to achieve. "

Albert nodded.

"And," I continued, "when I would walk the labyrinth at home I would use the walk inward towards the center as a time to unload negative issues. When I got to the center, I would meditate or pray or worship-- sometimes all three-- and then on the walk out I would focus on any insights I might receive. Pretty cool, huh?"

"Indeed." Albert continued to chewing. "So, on your map the descansos on the way in are an 'unburdening' for you?"

"Yes, you got it."

"What's at the center of the map for you?"

"I'm not certain yet. I haven't worked this all out yet. Wholeness? Unblocked creativity? I dunno."

"Maybe the House of the Serpents?" Albert asked as he chewed, crumbs dropping to the ground.

"Maybe, it might----Albert, what ARE you eating."

"Bagels. You want one?"

"Where'd you get bagels out here?"

"From the Ravens. A whole flock dropped by. They thought you might be hungry"

"I didn't see any Ravens. When was this?"

"You were in the middle of making the third descanso. You were muttering and swearing-- in a very bad mood. We were afraid to bother you. Anyway, they were on their way to a bombing mission and couldn't stay long."

"A bombing mission?"

"Yes. Seems like a nasty little gnome named Parsley has been stirring up trouble on the Road. Nothing like a little aerial defecation to make the matter right!" Albert began to whinny in delight.

"Albert!"

"Anyway, they left something else for you." Albert clopped over to the tree stump and picked up something in his mouth. He brought it over and dropped it in front of me. I picked up a gold key, glittering in the campfire.

"It's from the Sibyl. It's the gate key to the House of the Serpents."


Lori Gloyd (c) May 21, 2006

4 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger sarariches said...

Albert is my kind of guy LOL

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Very witty - very clever - naughty even - and I do so love you and Albert.

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Yes, this is the best fun.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

And nice and naughty, I can say now:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home