Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Crossing the Threshold

Any event that occurs at a threshold becomes an omen, a sign. As I come into my own I become much more aware of borders, thresholds, and liminality, the in-between state where things change shape. Like a cat approaching a door, I become very careful of the images that emerge from this in-between state, where, literally anything may happen. The threshold may be the first step out of the door, the beginning of a journey, the passage from one stage of life to another, the transition from sleep to waking, from the known world to the unknown, the beginning of a relationship, the approach to a crossroads. All are a dark door or portal into the unknown and images that emerge at this time are charged with importance.

Over time I have cultivated a stream of consciousness that calls to an awareness in the events of my everyday life. The two thresholds I cross everyday are the border from sleep to waking and the threshold of the house. Upon waking I take the time to remember the last images I had as I move into the day. Similarly, crossing the threshold of my home I become aware of any happening or image that reaches out to me, that strikes my attention. I have learned to carry these images with me to see how they connect with events as they unfold in my daily life. In turn, I entertain these images and let the connections emerge, allowing my intuition to unfold.

Gretchen (c)

3 Comments:

At 5:44 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Your altered art is simply stunning Gretch and I am keen to see how moving across the threshold, into the world of the Serpentine Road impacts on you. Bravo for diving in and making yourself known.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Viridiana said...

what a stunning image of the woman breaking through the papery shield

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Vi Jones said...

Crossing a threshold of any kind is a powerful moment, one we too often tend to disregard. Your picture and the words that accompany it are powerful--they make us, me anyway, stop and listen.

Vi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home