Monday, June 12, 2006

Impassible-3

Brother Tree

I am far from confluence of roads,
those well trod and those less traveled,
and am one with the forest draw and close.
I cannot get lost nor circle about
for home calls to me – and the space at your side;
and the trees understand and will protect me.

The rains came – a squall at sea – but here?
In the meadow I would have fallen
to prayerless knees and muddied despair;
but I stand instead against a brother tree,
embraced and enfolded as if in your arms
to listen to the songs and breath on now.

And of now, there is a debt to pay
as basic as my sense of self and one.
I dance naked beneath the giggling branches
as they release the gift rain in kindness,
giving me in simple measure by right
the fine blessings I could not bear alone.

and so it is with your love, little one –
that which I cannot embrace though folly
you will then shower on me in baby kisses
and thoughts of deep roots and shadow boughs,
that I might have it all – and live again –
but it’s just a tree, and you so far away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home